Friday 14 September 2018

Baby patches

I'd made four baby quilts for people that I knew had recently had their baby boys. But it turned out that there were also 2 others in the group (unknown to me) who also had boys. It didn't seem very fair that four out of the six received quilts and 2 didn't. So I set about finding a reasonably quick and easy baby pattern. Disappearing four patches seemed to fit the bill quite well. Starting with six and half inch squares, two background and two colour and then once they were sewn together, just slicing 2" from the centre line and rearranging the now nine patch block that results from the slicing. There are plenty on Pintrest to check out.

Raiding the stash is so good when you can find fabrics that work together well and you also have the backing on hand. Here is quilt number one:

Once I had made the centre I was rather concerned as I didn't think I liked it any more, or something didn't seem to work. Once I auditioned the turquoise and found the trees in my stash (hurrah!) it seemed Ok again.
What else to put on the backing to stretch the trees - what else but leaves? So here's the backing.

And another friend asked, 'are they tomatoes?' Yes they are, what fun, here's a close up. And I'm getting the hang of those corners where I'm doing a kind of treble clef pattern in the border. Practise, practise, practise it really is the only thing that works.

So what about the second one you ask? Well, for that I began with a kind of check or tartan. It had a number of colours I could have pulled out, including red - but that is a strong bold colour best used sparingly I think. It also had brown, but in the end the green and yellow won out.

Again, once the centre was together I wasn't sure about it.
Thank goodness for quilty friends. I have one who is very good with colour and especially borders. She suggested the narrow tartan then the creamish background before yellow as a final border. I think it works just fine. And again, fun fabric from the stash for the backing. This time its cabbages!

So two more quilts on their way for babies. I have such fun doing these, they are quick projects and the satisfaction of completing them and using up some stash is just great.
They both finish up at 44" by 55", a good size for a cot, or on the floor, whatever.

Until next time,


  1. Both quilts are so cheerful and fun. I like disappearing 4-patch but have never made one. Clever way to use backing fabric!

  2. Its the perfect pattern for a couple of quick quilts! I'm sure there will be many years of snuggly times with these quilts! So many boys!!

  3. These are both such great baby boy quilts! I adore the tomatoes! So unexpected and fun. And the borders work so well with the fabrics you chose. Congrats on two more super finishes, Lynn :)

  4. You sure have had a lot of boys to quilt for! I like the disappearing nine patch concept so much but have never tried it—it’s hard for me to visualize how it will look. I guess the solution is to just jump in because this is just the size quilt I like to make. I hope you get a chance to cuddle each of those new little bundles of love.

  5. The disappearing 4 patch is a great baby quilt block. I've used it myself, actually :) I love the colours you chose for both quilts and the addition of the tomatoes and cabbages is really fun! Thanks for linking to TGIFF :)

  6. These are so cute and sure to be loved. The disappearing four patch is on my bucket list.

  7. very cute, and good of you to do all these! I want to make a D. 4-patch sometime too.

  8. Lovely fabrics make beautiful quilts. I am sure the kids/babies will enjoy looking at all the bright colors.